Saturday, July 29, 2017

Today in Textiles


A couple of interesting textile notes:

A piece of a skirt worn by Elizabeth I (bearing striking resemblance to the skirt she's wearing in this 1602 portrait) was found in St. Faith, Bacton, a 13th-century parish church in Herefordshire, England, where it had been cut up and used as an altar cloth for hundreds of years.

Two fascinating quotes from Eleri Lynn, curator of historic dress at Historic Royal Palaces in the January 7 article in the Guardian:

"In Tudor times, clothing was so expensive that it would be passed from one generation to the next, or taken apart and reused for something else, like cushion covers."

"On top of that, Oliver Cromwell sold off every item of clothing in the royal stores, so the only things we have, including a hat which might have been worn by Henry VIII, have come back to Hampton Court after they have survived elsewhere."

(I was drawn to this story, in part, because I lived in Hereford in the mid-1980s. Hope to get back there this fall.)

And an amazing quilt collection is on sale this weekend in Berkeley.
Eli Leon, quilt collector

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/07/27/vintage-quilt-collection-passionate-local-collector-eli-leon-sale/


Quilts for sale
Log cabin quilt from Eli Leon collection
Double wedding ring quilt from Eli Leon collection
I remember hearing about Leon when we lived in Berkeley—at the time (late 80s-early 90s) he was collecting quilts made by an African American woman in Richmond, CA, among others, and years later an exhibition of his quilts appeared at the Figge Art Museum in Davenport, IA. Boy, do I wish I was in Berkeley (although it's probably a very good thing I'm not)!



7 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Interesting about the Elizabeth I textile. We have a found number of early (late 18th, early 19th century) Maine wool quilts that have been made from re-purposed clothing. One in particular has a wonderful red petticoat in the center with what appears to be bed curtains for a border. I love that kind of find. I too wish I could be at the Eli Leon auction, or as you say, maybe I don't - wink!

William Mason said...

Nice post, I really enjoyed reading this article, it explains everything in a simple way. I will check this blog for such important information and will continue to search for it.
Hang Tags Printing

crackform said...

Autodesk Fusion 360 Crack is one of the most popular CAD tools for professionals due to its features. It provides the user with a complete set of tools.
Glitch 2 Crack
Izotope Vinyl Crack
Sublime Text Crack

badshah said...

I was looking for this information from enough time and now I reached your website it’s really good content.
Thanks for writing such a nice content for us.
2021/03/28/designdoll-crack-mac

KHIZAR said...

I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us Amazing info. Fantastic post.
Thanks For Sharing such an informative article, Im taking your feed also, Thanks.
serviio-pro-crack/

Softs 32 said...

Hi Dear, I like your post style as it’s unique from the others. I’m seeing on the page.
movavi video editor

Procracklink said...

This article has made me very pleased. Thank you for providing us with such valuable information.
skatter