Friday, February 12, 2016

What's Pearl the Squirrel About, Anyway?

That's a question I ask myself frequently.

It started out as a way to document my life, both crafty and personal. It morphed into talking about my writing, mostly of the crafty nature. Then it turned into a way to do a little book publicity, too. The blog's readership has never been large, and at the end of a day of writing for publication I often decide I'd rather sew or knit than write some more. Hence, Pearl the Squirrel is neglected.

So, I'm going to try again. I'll include links to my writing, photos of my sewing and knitting, and news of an upcoming big project, when the time is right.





Here are a few photos from last month, when I was able to spend time in Austin, Texas. As a California girl, I've never properly adapted to winter and it has been getting to me more every year. I don't like to drive in the snow and if it's at all icy I don't like to walk outside, which is honestly one of the things that keeps me sane.

Because my work is portable, I was able to take it and my sewing machine to Austin, where I stayed in a very nice AirB&B in a neighborhood from which I could walk to the grocery store, coffee shop, restaurants, bookstore, and a great bakery. I took Pearl and we walked outside multiple times daily and I felt very restored.


I also did a little espionage work for Home Ec Workshop, by taking a class at Stitch Lab (well, I also just really wanted to take a class there). I made the Washi dress with a fabulous teacher, Sarah, who had made every piece of new clothing last year. She's done costuming for Broadway and sewing for museum exhibitions and generously shared her skills with the class. There were five of us and the other students were very welcoming and gave me lots of good pointers on enjoying Austin.

Best of all, I got to hang out with my daughter Maggie and her beau EJ and meet their chickens. A fantastic month!




1 comment:

essay best said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.