Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Master Knitters on Etsy

Lisa Wilcox Case
It's a little after the fact, but I thought I'd share some of the photos I shot for the master knitting certification post that went live on Etsy. Etsy's discovered that a large number of their visitors are accessing the site through mobile media, and that's changed the kinds of photos they need--big, bold and graphic reads much better than detailed. So a number of these just didn't cut it.

Lisa's intarsia sample
But I wanted to share them with you because I think the master knitting process is impressive, and Lisa Wilcox Case's notebooks are amazing. Filled with reports and samples, they really demonstrated her abilities, as well as the requirements for being a master knitter through The Knitting Guild Association.

Lisa's final project for master knitter certification
The other part of the master knitting story that was fun for me was that I was having a heck of a time finding a second source to talk with. I went to lunch at a local restaurant and was chatting with the owner, who I've known for years, about what her daughter was up to. Her daughter, Taylor, had been in my class when I taught at a Montessori school many years ago. She described how Taylor was getting ready to graduate from college, thinking about various careers and then said, "Oh, and she's getting master knitting certification." So funny! So I contacted Taylor (who shared a couple of photos that I've included, as well).

Lisa demonstrates a cable technique


One thing that struck me was how different the personalities of these two women seem, yet how they both want to be (or in Lisa's case, are) Master Knitters. Lisa's been a librarian and an endodontist--methodical, detail-oriented, exacting. Taylor seems to be much more of a free spirit, but she's enjoying the challenge as well.

Hope you enjoy these!
Samples in Lisa's certification notebooks
Lisa at work (she knit the sweater she's wearing)
Lisa's entrelac sample
Taylor wearing a hat she knit
Cowl knit by Taylor

Taylor's yarn bombing on the Cornell College campus


1 comment:

Henry Hanson said...

Hi thanks ffor posting this